Luyện thi IELTS Speaking đem đến cho bạn đọc những kiến thức, tài liệu, hướng dẫn hữu ích, mong muốn chia sẻ và đồng hành với người học trong suốt hành trình chinh phục IELTS.
Một số từ vựng về chủ đề Thành công và Thất bại
Successful Samantha has a long list of impressive accomplishments.
- impressive accomplishments: những thành tích ấn tượng
It seems like everything she does ends up being a phenomenal success.
- phenomenal success: thành công phi thường
In her very first job, she created a highly effective way to motivate the company’s employees, resulting in a dramatic improvement in workplace morale.
- highly effective: hiệu quả rất cao
- dramatic improvement: cải thiện rõ rệt
Now she’s developing a system for real-time translation among 100 different languages.
- real-time translation: phiên dịch thời gian thực
If she can pull it off, it’ll be an unprecedented success (success in something for the first time in history) and the crowning achievement(best or most significant achievement) of her career.
- unprecedented success: thành công chưa từng thấy
- crowning achievement: thành tựu nổi bật
So far, the program has enjoyed modest success (some limited success) but there is still room for improvement (potential for improvement).
- modest success: thành công nhất định
- room for improvement: tiềm năng cải thiện
However, Samantha says that the team is making good progress, and that in the next month or two she hopes to make a breakthrough (make a sudden advance in success, especially when you overcome an obstacle).
- making good progress: tiến triển tốt
- make a breakthrough: tạo nên một bước đột phá
Although Samantha is very ambitious, she’s also a very like-able person.
- like-able person: người dễ mến
She brings out the best in other people, and quickly wins the respect of colleagues.
- bring out the best: khai thác được những điều tốt
- win the respect: thu phục nhân tâm
Samantha’s brother, disastrous Dan, is the opposite – everything he attempts seems to fail miserably.
- fail miserably: thất bại thảm hại
He wanted to be a doctor, but his teachers told him he wasn’t smart enough, dashing his hopes (making him abandon hope) of a career in medicine.
- dashing his hopes: tiêu tan mọi hy vọng
He had the opportunity to do a prestigious internship in another country, but he lost his nerve (lost his courage) and turned down the offer.
- lost his nerve: mất hết dũng khí
He then applied for various jobs, but completely failed to show up to the interviews on time.
- completely failed: hoàn toàn thất bại
He was eventually hired, but later lost his job during an economic downturn due to his mediocre performance (average work, not very special) and total lack of remarkable achievements.
- mediocre performance: năng suất làm việc trung bình
- remarkable achievements: thành tích nổi trội
Dan then tried to start his own software company to compete with Samantha’s; that was a spectacular failure.
- spectacular failure: thất bại ê chề
He invested his life savings in the business, despite all his friends telling him that it would be a recipe for disaster (very likely to result in disaster).
- a recipe for disaster: dẫn đến thảm họa
His sales predictions were way off the mark (completely inaccurate), and the company went under (lost all its money and shut down) just eight months after it was founded.
- way off the mark: hoàn toàn phi thực tế
- go under: phá sản
Poor Dan – it seems like he’s doomed to failure (destined to be unsuccessful).
- doomed to failure: chịu kiếp thất bại
But if all else fails (if everything is unsuccessful), he can always move into Samantha’s mansion as a last resort (a final possibility)!
- if all else fails: nếu mọi thứ đều hỏng
- as a last resort: viện đến phương án cuối cùng